Training for Research with Human Subjects
Human subjects' training must be renewed every five years, i.e., before the five-year anniversary of the investigator's most recent human subjects in research training. The online refresher course provided by CITI takes approximately one hour to complete. The completion report for the refresher will be due at the time of expiration. CITI provides a 30, 60, and 90 day reminder on expiration dates. Once an investigator's training has expired, any approvals or exemptions will be withdrawn until training is updated.
Initial and continuing reviews require an up-to-datein which you will list all the personnel on the project and their CITI completion dates. Completion records of all study personnel should be maintained by the principal investigator and are subject to periodic inspection. Follow the steps below to sign up for the CITI course:
Step 2: Select “Register” under Create an account
Step 3: Search for/select organization “Texas A&M University” and select “Continue to step 2” to continue CITI registration
Step 4: Enter the following information
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email address- the email used needs to match the email address in My Assistant information in iRIS. CITI allows two email addresses to be given in case a researcher wants an additional email used
Step 5: Enter the following information
- User Name
Step 6: Enter demographic information
Step 7: Determine if Continuing Education Credits are applicable to you
Step 8: Provide additional information requested by Texas A&M
Step 9: Select courses appropriate to the type of research you conduct. Please note that the Responsible Conduct of Research training does not fulfill the human subjects training requirement of the Human Subjects Protection Program.
- Group 1: Biomedical Research
- Group 2: Social and Behavioral Research
Existing accounts in CITI
- Please note courses can always be updated by selecting “Add a Course or Update Learner Groups” from your CITI home page.
- When refresher trainings are due, you should receive an email from CITI to login and complete the appropriate training. Follow the directions in the email to login and complete the required refresher trainings. If logging in to CITI directly, a link to the refresher training should be on your CITI home page.
All principal investigators and co-investigators are required to read and adhere to the principles contained in the Belmont Report, “Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research.”
CITI Online Refresher Course
Follow the steps below to sign up for the CITI Refresher Course:
- Step 1: Go to www.citiprogram.org
- Step 2: Log in with username and password
- Step 3: Under "My Courses," enter the course entitled "Human Research"
- Step 4: Complete the "Integrity Assurance Statement"
- Step 5: Completing the "Integrity Assurance Statement" will allow entrance into each required module:
- "How to Complete the CITI Refresher Course and Receive the Completion Report"
- "Refresher Course 101 Introduction"
- Modules 1-5
The course may be re-taken as many times as necessary to obtain a 90 percent average overall. Investigators can re-enter the modules with their lowest score and re-take the associated quizzes to reach a score of 90 percent.