Biohazardous Waste Handling
Instructions for disposing of biohazardous waste:
- Collect solid biohazard waste in a red or orange biohazard bag for autoclaving.
- Prior to autoclaving, deface the biohazard symbol on the bag with autoclave tape.
- Label the waste bag or container with the name of the principal investigator (PI), building number, and lab room number.
- After autoclaving, place a treatment sticker on biohazard bag to document wastes were treated in accordance with 25TAC1.136.
- Place the biohazard bag inside a second black trash bag.
- Dispose of autoclaved waste in the appropriate dumpster.
- Do not leave it on the curb or street or place it in container labeled for composting or other waste.
- NEVER dispose of anything sharp inside of the biohazard trash bag. This would include serological pipets and pipet tips, as they can poke through the bag and cause injury to personnel.
If you have any questions about proper biohazardous waste disposal, please contact the Biosafety Program at 979.862.4549 or firstname.lastname@example.org.